Monday, June 04, 2007

Some Assembly Required, The College Computer Guide: June 2006, Part 1b: Context

So last article I completely left out one of the most important parts of any advisory guide – the writer’s context.

Probably like most of you reading this today, I grew up in the time period where computers, and later, the internet, transformed into integral parts of everyday life. I was one of those kids that was deeply interested in all aspects of computer and technology, and I’ve kept track of new hardware and software as it’s come along through the years. I’ve built my fair share of computers, and I’ve always been a big proponent of the DIY, or “do-it-yourself” computer segment, favoring computers that you build yourself rather than pre-made computers bought from the store or online.

At the same time, for much of my life I’ve been technologically-deprived by contemporary standards, especially among those here in California. While I’ve always built my own computers, and therefore had access to a greater variety of more cost-effective parts, most all of my rigs were more in the bargain-basement range than anything high end. Like most public schools up until the early 2000’s, my experience with computers up through middle school was all Mac-based, and the schools I attended weren’t the kind that had much of an emphasis on computers or technology. The high school I attended was probably above-average as far as technology emphasis went, although it didn’t become that way until my last couple of years, and even then it lacked the kind of hardcore and cutting-edge computer or digital media classes. Most importantly, my mini-generation (4 years) of high school students was approximately the group that ushered in broadband internet connection as the mainstream, bringing in all of the p2p file-sharing, streaming video, Flash, and the rest of the Web 2.0 applications with it. Throughout this time, I was part of the remaining few (especially of those working or studying on the forefront of technology) that was still stuck back on 56k dial-up connections. Put all of this together, and you come up with someone who is in fact a fair bit behind the technological curve, with a mindset that is still thinking more in 2003 terms than 2007.

I’ve had a computer for as far back as I can remember, and I probably started using it heavily around 1997-1998 (4th grade). I started using internet probably around middle school, at libraries and school and such, but I didn’t get real online access until about 2002 (9th grade), when I finally got signed up for dial-up access at my house. I’ve had several-ish desktop computers (or two-ish computers that have been continually upgraded Mr. Potato-head style), which handled all manners of word processing/productivity apps just fine, and at various points in time were able to handle some games, although never the latest and greatest. I finally picked up my own laptop when I started college – like all of my desktops, about two generations behind the newest curve, but able to handle general processing just fine, although it struggles with games and intensive digital media work.

I’ve done lots with computers. I used to play games a lot, although most all were on the low-end in terms of performance needs (no FPS’s, and obviously, no MMO’s), although I rarely do any of that these days. I use Office productivity apps like anyone else, although probably Excel and Powerpoint more extensively than most people. Compared to most people, I’m probably more utilitarian online, using it for email and forums, and probably far less than the average person for more bandwidth-intensive stuff like p2p filesharing or streaming video. These days as a student and half EE, half CS major, my main computer tasks boil down to general internet communication use (email, IM, forums, and blogging, none of them hardware or bandwidth intensive), computer programming (typing text – not hardware intensive at all), and digital image processing (heavily memory and display (monitor) intensive).

If there’s anything to take into context while you’re reading this series, it’s that I come from a heavily utilitarian, Spartan even, mindset. I’ve worked a lot with computers, on the hardware side, on the software side, and on the networking side, but I’ve mostly done it with bare bones equipment, so my philosophy tends toward making what you can out of the fewest possible resources. I’m also… how should I say this… used to slowness, and perhaps I’m more patient and forgiving when it comes to performance expectations from hardware, although with my experience I’m probably far more efficient and less wasteful at eking out performance from the hardware. Thus, most of what I write here should be fairly accurate with what people really need, but as far as “luxury” performance goes, it’s an unfamiliar territory that I often write about but haven’t actually experienced much of. Madness you say? No, this is SPARTA! Figurative, computer Sparta. Where Macs are Persians, those god-damn Persians…

Here’s my plan for the rest of this series:

Windows, Mac, and Linux, oh my!
Laptop size/formfactor, and display
CPU
Memory
Hard drive
GPU (graphics processor)
Miscellany (optical drives, wifi cards)
Which computer manufacturers, and where to buy

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home